CopperEgg Amazon AWS / EC2 Monitoring
Optimize AWS Infrastructure
CopperEgg is an Amazon AWS Advanced Technical Services and Marketplace partner. CopperEgg cloud monitoring is especially valuable to anyone running on the Amazon AWS cloud. CopperEgg helps Amazon customers monitor their public cloud infrastructure, including Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2), to maximize visibility and minimize complexity. AWS offers a web service that provides resizable compute capacity in the cloud. It is designed to make web-scale computing easier for developers and operations. CopperEgg provides the visibility required to understand infrastructure performance and health at any moment, and see changes to performance and health, instantly. In addition to performance, CopperEgg also offers a free Cloud Sizing Tool to help you determine which EC2 Instance sizes are best for your needs.
Amazon EC2’s simple web service interface allows you to obtain and configure capacity with minimal friction. It provides you with complete control of your computing resources and lets you run on Amazon’s proven computing environment. Amazon EC2 reduces the time required to obtain and boot new server instances to minutes, allowing you to quickly scale capacity, both up and down, as your computing requirements change. Amazon EC2 changes the economics of computing by allowing you to pay only for capacity that you actually use.
The CopperEgg platform itself is architected and delivered on Amazon Web Services and is purpose-built for monitoring cloud applications and services in development, test, and production on AWS. The CopperEgg utility-based, elastic monitoring service allows users to closely monitor the health and service levels (SLAs) of their servers and applications even as they dynamically spin up and spin down instances. The CopperEgg subscription and pay-per-use model fairly tracks cloud services and only charges for what you use.
EC2 Instance Monitoring
Amazon EC2 Monitoring with CopperEgg RevealCloud monitors critical OS, system, and process statistics – in real-time – across hosted servers in EC2. This includes real-time monitoring support for Ubuntu, Windows, FreeBSD, MacOS X, and most other 2.6+ Linux distributions, including Debian, RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, Amazon, SuSE, openSuSE, Vyatta, and Gentoo).
For the Amazon EC2 Linux AMI and Windows Server AMI performance monitoring data collected includes:
• CPU utilization, per CPU and in-aggregate
• Details of the individual components of CPU utilization, including CPU steal and I/O wait
• Memory stats like cache, buffer, active
• Network TX and RX across each NIC and in-aggregate
• Disk volume consumption by volume
• Disk I/O
• Swap Activity
• Processes, CPU, and memory (like top or task manager on steroids)
• And many more
Installing on EC2
Installing RevealCloud server monitoring on an EC2 instance is a simple process. Simply log into your console, copy and paste the Linux install command and you are done. CopperEgg sorts through which binary to install for a particular distribution. The process takes less than 10 seconds and lets you instantly see your Instance’s health and performance. Windows servers are easily monitored by installing a MSI.
Effective EC2 Instance Tagging
Tagging your EC2 instances so you can effectively alert on certain conditions is a cloud monitoring best practice. For example, if you tag your Instances East and West, you can effectively alert differently for the different zones or different groups of servers. Knowing that similar conditions are happening on severs of the same tag (group) is an effective tool. So consider tagging your instances on availability zone, region, or AMI type. Tags are effective ways to filter your views, restrict read-only accounts or direct alert notifications.
EC2 Instance Process Monitoring
3 ways RevealCloud can help you with EC2 Instance Process Monitoring:
1. Easily identify a process that has consumed too much memory or CPU. If a system is running high on CPU or memory, you can detect which processes may need to be stopped or restarted.
2. Discover if an issue arises by 2 or more processes or jobs running simultaneously. This might cause a high load on the system and may extend the run time of the combined jobs as opposed to them running at various times. Example: running an AV scan while trying to do a backup.
3. Gain visibility into multiple CPUs to determine if a process or job may not be written to take advantage of multiple CPUs. If this was not visible, a job may take longer to execute than anticipated. With RevealCloud you can verify that a job is only using one CPU as opposed to multiple.
Cloud Automation Support
Most of our Amazon EC2 Server Monitoring customers include our install command as part of their AMI. In this manner, RevealCloud is already monitoring instances as soon as they are activated. Many that are very dynamic, and spin up and down frequently integrate our automatic removal script.
Orchestration, including Chef and Puppet modules, available on Github: https://github.com/CopperEgg/.
Add any critical Amazon AWS metrics with CopperEgg Custom Dashboards. View any Cloudwatch metrics for cost, ELB, RDS, EC2, etc. CopperEgg can display, alert and store Cloudwatch metrics for up to a year, adding a greater retention time than Amazon gives.
CopperEgg, which can monitor public and private cloud environments, has helped many customers migrate to the AWS cloud through a unified, single pane of glass view across multiple server locations. CopperEgg installs easily and seamlessly integrates into existing Opscode Chef recipes and deployment automation scripts while supporting a broad spectrum of Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, and Mac platforms.
Latest AWS EC2 News & Helpful Links
- Amazon EC2 general information
- Amazon Latest News RSS
- Fact – Over 30 percent of servers monitored by CopperEgg RevealCloud are hosted at Amazon with 75 percent of those being hosted in the US East region.
- AWS Resources – Whitepapers, Webinars, Infographics, and more.
- You can find CopperEgg in the AWS Marketplace, Amazon’s one stop shop for AWS software solutions: Amazon Marketplace