CopperEgg HP Cloud Monitoring
HP Cloud Services is providing public cloud infrastructure services for organizations of all sizes. Designed with OpenStack™ technology at the core, HP’s open, transparent architecture ensures no vendor lock-in, improves developer productivity, features easy-to-use tools for faster time to code, provides access to a rich partner ecosystem, and is backed by exceptional customer support. HP’s initial offering includes on-demand compute instances or virtual machines, scalable online storage capacity and accelerated delivery of cached content to end users.
HP’s full suite of public cloud services will enable the next generation of web services to be built, run and scale on a global basis backed with a broad marketplace of analytics, tools and services. HP’s cloud supports customers with a differentiated hybrid delivery model, providing interoperability
and portability across public, private and managed clouds.
For additional information visit hpcloud.com.
The CopperEgg platform itself is purpose-built for monitoring cloud applications and services in development, test, and production on any cloud. The CopperEgg utility-based, elastic monitoring service allows users to closely monitor the health and service levels (SLAs) of their servers and applications even as they dynamically spin up and spin down instances. The CopperEgg pay-per-use model fairly tracks cloud services and only charges for what you use.
HP Instance Monitoring
CopperEgg RevealCloud monitors critical OS, system, and process statistics – in real-time – across hosted servers in the HP Cloud. This includes real-time monitoring support for Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, CentOS and most other 2.6+ Linux distributions.
For HP Cloud compute instance monitoring data collected includes:
- CPU utilization, per CPU and in-aggregate
- Details of the individual components of CPU utilization, including CPU steal and I/O wait
- Memory stats like cache, buffer, active
- Network TX and RX across each NIC and in-aggregate
- Disk volume consumption by volume
- Disk I/O
- Swap Activity
- Processes, CPU, and memory (like top or task manager on steroids)
- And many more
Installing on the HP Cloud
Installing RevealCloud server monitoring on an HP compute instance is a simple process. Simply log into your console, copy and paste the Linux install command and you are done. CopperEgg sorts through which binary to install for a particular distribution. The process takes less than 10 seconds and lets you instantly see your Instance’s health and performance.
Effective HP Cloud Instance Tagging
Tagging your HP Cloud instances so you can effectively alert on certain conditions is a cloud monitoring best practice. For example, if you tag your Instances Prod and Dev, you can effectively alert differently for different groups of servers. Knowing that similar conditions are happening on severs of the same tag (group) is an effective tool. So consider tagging your instances on availability priority, development lifecycle phase, role, etc. Tags are effective ways to filter your views, restrict read-only accounts or direct alert notifications.
HP Cloud Instance Process Monitoring
3 ways RevealCloud can help you with HP Cloud Instance Process Monitoring:
- Easily identify a process that has consumed too much memory or CPU. If a system is running high on CPU or memory, you can detect which processes may need to be stopped or restarted.
- Discover if an issue arises by 2 or more processes or jobs running simultaneously. This might cause a high load on the system and may extend the run time of the combined jobs as opposed to them running at various times. Example: running an AV scan while trying to do a backup.
- Gain visibility into multiple CPUs to determine if a process or job may not be written to take advantage of multiple CPUs. If this was not visible, a job may take longer to execute than anticipated. With RevealCloud you can verify that a job is only using one CPU as opposed to multiple.
Cloud Automation Support
Most of our HP Cloud Server Monitoring customers include our install command as part of their standard builds. In this manner, RevealCloud is already monitoring instances as soon as they are activated.
Many also utilize our Chef recipe available at https://github.com/CopperEgg/revealcloud-chef.
HP Cloud Migration
CopperEgg, which can monitor public and private cloud environments, has helped many customers migrate to the HP cloud through a unified, single pane of glass view across multiple server locations. CopperEgg installs easily and seamlessly integrates into existing Opscode Chef recipes and deployment automation scripts while supporting a broad spectrum of Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, and Mac platforms.
Latest HP Cloud News & Helpful Links
- HP Cloud general information – https://www.hpcloud.com
- HP Cloud Blog – https://blog.hpcloud.com
- HP Cloud Knowledgebase: https://community.hpcloud.com/knowledge-base
- CopperEgg Blog – Got Steal: http://copperegg.com/got-steal/
- You can find CopperEgg in the HP Cloud Partner Program: https://www.hpcloud.com/partner/copperegg